Saturday, December 1, 2007

Just checking in....

My camera is not working. I like to tell my stories with pictures. I find it a challenge to put all the words that are in my head into print.

We had a very nice Thanksgiving. We spend it every year with DH family about a hour and a half way. I always get car sick on the way up. The first hour is on the Interstate. Then we turn to the east and twist and turn and twist some more to get to their house. It really is a lovely drive... you think after years of this routine I'd take my DH up on letting me drive. :-)


The Christmas season is well under way! My goal is to be done shopping this week. Wrap and send the following week and enjoy the rest! You should see my calender. It's full already. Children's programs, church programs, some birthday parties for friends, helping those who need it.
I have one daughter who is a coveted babysitter and has many jobs this season! She loves it! I'm so proud of her fine reputation with parents.

Now for the home front.
I need to go outside and cut greens for the fireplace. Make a modest centerpiece for the kitchen table, and then I think I'm done with Christmas decor. I love the lights on the tree in the evening. It adds such a warm glow to the living room.
We do have an fake tree this year.We have not had very good luck with real trees. The past couple of trees we've had ended up dry before we even got to Christmas. We had to buy new ones. The first time you decorate a tree is so much fun...the second time in 3 weeks...not as much fun. The family doesn't look as forward to that whole thing. The prettiest tree we ever had was tall, sage green with frosty tips. It lasted well past Christmas, into the new year. As Christmas approached, with parties to prepare for, I kept smelling something strange in the corner by the tree. The dog marking his spot? Maybe. Hummm lets keep him leashed.... Stronger everyday....the cat joining in the pee party? Hummm get that cat out. We need to find that spot. Upon further investigation I discovered the beautiful tree, looking so fine in my living room, well into the Christmas season, was developing a smell as it grew older, that seemed to resemble urine! Yuck!!! Get that out of my house!
So you see, fake tree with Yankee Candle in a lovely Christmas sent, that's good enough for me!


As am sitting here typing, the "snow sky" is developing. The weather forecast says up to 3 inches tonight with a rain moving tomorrow. In the Pacific Northwest, this is big news! When we get it, it never lasts long. I remember one year it snowed at about 11pm. We get it so little that we woke the kids to go play in it as it was falling! The whole cu-de-sac ended up out there playing and enjoying it together! The kids still talk about that :-)

Until later,


Update:
We have about 31/2 inches of snow! I can't even believe it. It is so beautiful!
It's 9pm. I think it's gonna be snowin' all night!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to see that you are busy and the girls are doing better and no more sickness. I have to do fake tree or i would not enjoy christmas due to allergies. I know what you mean by snow sky as i kept thinking that today but nothing :( Last year(our first winter here) we had a huge storm that left about 4+ inches of snow here in springfield which everyone kept telling me it doesnt snow here and if it does it only last a day well this lasted about 2 weeks before it was all gone! Oh and i get car sick too......it is better if i drive though.

Lisa said...

Glad hear you got snow....wish we had some here....maybe next month or so hopefully.

Simply Stork said...

I'm just getting in from out of town...I blinked and I missed it! arg!

your sis,
~simply~

Angie D said...

There's nothing quite like the festive smell of a peed-on tree, is there?! I keep waiting for one of my sons to try that some year and get electrocuted...

RicKaren said...

We have been through the whole tree ordeal ourselves and learned that an artificial tree and a candle is the way to go. Funny, I also get very carsick-no fun-and you simply can't understand if it doesn't happen to you. Oh, would you mind sending us some snow. I've been asking everyone and no one else will share. Karen

RicKaren said...

We have been through the whole tree ordeal ourselves and learned that an artificial tree and a candle is the way to go. Funny, I also get very carsick-no fun-and you simply can't understand if it doesn't happen to you. Oh, would you mind sending us some snow. I've been asking everyone and no one else will share. Karen

dayz in and dayz out... said...

Hi Karen.I just gotta tell ya that the snow was gone by the next afternoon. We, our state that is, ended up with horrid flooding and the closing of the major freeway. 10 feet under water. I do believe that it ma be a sign of a crazy winter to come. I'll send you some snow the next time we get it. I think my daughter has some in the freezer!momtogirls5