Saturday, May 17, 2008

Having a hard time....

I have never in my life had a hard time with a birthday. Never. I have always, for the most part, looked younger for my age.

Well, this year was "renew your licence" year. Not a big deal.
Being the procrastinator that I can be, I put it off until my birthday day.
I had a good book, Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg, all the time that I wanted to take, and some errands I wanted to run after. So off I go to the DMV.
I walk in and look around. Not to many people. Lookin' good. I realize I need a number. I can't seem to find the number dispenser anywhere. I don't really want to stand at the counter to ask so I start stalking people as they come in to see where they go. That works.
I get my number, 127. They are on 109. I bunker down.
I get very distracted. I can't read anything when there is a world going on around me. I use my book as cover to study people. I'm watching the clerks. I see 2 I want and 1 I wouldn't care for. As I'm watching, a lady walks in and goes right up to the counter. I'm thinking maybe she doesn't know where the numbers are. Maybe I should help her. After all, it is almost my turn and I wouldn't want her to throw a wrench in this fine tuned machine... No she's fine. The clerk directs her to where she needs to go...in classic DMV clerk style. Then it happens...."ONE TWENTY SEVEN"..ooh, that's me. Gulp, I have the stone face one...So I go up, hand her my old drivers licence, smile as sweetly as I can without looking to phony, make small talk. Then she is asking for my SS#. Hummm, OK. Everything OK? Yes, everythings fine, but the SS office has not put my number into my married name. Oh well, just another round of phone calls to make on another day. I pay, (she was very nice by the way :-) and move to the next line to have my picture taken.
I'm standing so I can't hide behind the book. I wish the lady next to me a happy birthday, and chat with her a bit.
Then finally it's time to have my DMV glamor shot taken.
I step up,
put my toes on the marks on the floor,
raise my head to the lady behind the camera, and she says,
"Please remove your glasses"
So I respond with, "What? Remove my glasses?"
"Yes dear"
"Uh, but I hid behind my glasses"
So she quickly responds with,
"Honey, nobody hides from the DMV"
Ok, ha ha very funny but...
"Yes miss"
So I blindly look toward her direction and she says
"Please put your head down"
So I do.
She snaps and and hands me my paper copy.
I scream. That's not me. Who is that beady eyed double chin old lady?
I thank her and I head to the car where I sit for a while in disbelief. Who is that looking back at me?
So with that all being said...I feel old. I know people around the world are dying for their faith, but I feel old. I shouldn't be feeling this way. I wanted to welcome age. Proud of every gray hair I've earn.
What a funny place to be. I'm not quite sure what to do with it.
I find it very interesting and very heart revealing. I look around and there are areas in my life I'm not content with. I see a focus change has occurred and I didn't even notice.
So, on my knees I go. I need things back in there proper perspective. What's on the outside is not what matters, it's what's on the inside. The hidden woman of the heart. If that's ugly, well then, that's just ugly. This will take a mighty work of the Lord. I don't want to be someone who hides. I want to be a Godly woman, wife and mother.
It is amazing how something so small can reveal something so large in ones life. I'm thankful to have it out in the open. I have talked to my husband about it so he can pray for me and hold me in account to what I'm doing in this season. So really, this has all been a blessing :-)
Until later my friends,

7 comments:

Simply Stork said...

yup, I have heard this story and it is a good one...we've all been there...come to think of it...I have more grey than you...how did that happen??? **ahem**

great lesson to learn **gulp**

I like Dad's perspective..."you are as old as you feel." I'm feeling a bit squishy right now ***ahem, ahem*** what does that mean? (lol)

your sister,
~simply~

p.s. Why do they ask us to take off our glasses...If I am pulled over they won't recognize me by my picture...isn't that what the dredded picture is for? hmmmmmm?

Anonymous said...

I think your inside is beautiful and find your outside beautiful also! I do know what you mean though. I now can see every pore,the beginings of where my grandma wrinkles will be worn, and the dreaded skin discoloration. I can see it all starting and coming on! Yet as each new layer of the "older" me begins to take place it also comes wrapped with new wisdom and learning. I think the trade off is worth it and perhaps the beauty of our youth is there so we have something during that time but I think the wisdom of aging has a certain peace about it.
You know when I grew up I never thought my grandmas were ugly. They had gray hair, soft skin and wrinkles and yet they were pretty to me. Their looks were just right. I bet one day our grandchildren will think our looks are just right too!
Thank you for your birthday song and wishes. Your a great "little" sister. Love Kim

dayz in and dayz out... said...

Thank you sisters!

Lisa said...

It really is amazing how something small can reveal a "big" something that needs to change in ones life. But as the saying goes "the straw that broke the camels back" and i think that is how it usually happens. I have many times of breaking down and telling myself " I don't want to be like this, There needs to be a change" and that is something that with God's help can be done. I will pray for you as you go through this time of change and growth.

My grandpa would tell me that age is just a number and nothing else. And that he was how ever many years "young"

granenz said...

It is so hard for me to think of you as dreading getting old. I look at you and your sister and see you as my little girls. As for growing old gracefully my BFF Kayla and I figured it out at about your age. When you look in the mirror and at photos, think ahead ten years and imagine what you will look like then. Your whole perspective changes, especially if you compare with what you looked like ten years ago.
We also joked about how good we looked for our age in dog years.
It worked for us! You learn to like yourself NOW! The past and the future are irrelevant. Vanity and Pride are evil taskmasters. Don't go by those ugly DMV mug shots, nobody takes a good one.
Love, your mom,
granenz

momoflots said...

Hi Dayz,
Your story made me laugh. Since I am a few months older than you I will say in my older wisdom - you could be like me - old and PREGNANT!!:0) All the maternity clothes are for GIRLS 10 to 20 (20?) years younger than me. Yikes!!! My oldest is graduating from high school BEFORE my little one is born. God is good and his plans are mysterious - but if I am still having babies then you are NOT old. :0)!!
Blessings,
Mom of lots

RicKaren said...

I think I know the feeling. #30 is looming...only 4 more days! Thanks for the guestbook signature. I love what you are doing with a women's forum! Keep me posted! Karen