Monday, September 3, 2007

Hey, what's cookin?

So, what's in the pot you ask? Maybe soup, or how 'bout canning? That would be nice. But, it's not what's in the pot......


It's my kitchen towels, dishclothes, and washclothes. Yep, that's right...I boil them once a month or so. See how gray the water is? These are freshly laundered towels.

Have you ever grabbed a wet dish rag that you just got out of the drawer this morning, and it smelled a bit sour?
Then this is the trick for you....unless your washing machine has the super-hot cycle, a good boil is about the only thing that will do it.
I start with a VERY large pot. This one I found at a second hand store with a canning pot to match for about 4 dollars. I get all my clean dish towels and rags gathered up and place in the pot with about 1/4th scoop of Oxi-Clean. I then add hot top water and place on high, givin' it a good stir every now and again. I let it bubble and boil for about 1/2 hour then I turn it off and let it sit for another 1/2 hour.


Then I drain as much of the water out that I can; note how dirty the water is. These were clean(ish).



I then place them in a load of bath towels to wash....

Ouch, it's still hot.





then to dry....





and believe it or not, only on the day I do the boil,







I give 'em a good press...







and there....they are done. Don't they look nice? And they smell fresh, too!

5 comments:

Simply Stork said...

ewwwww! It just makes me want to go and clean mine right now!!!
~your sis~
simply stork

Angie D said...

I stick mine in a bucket of hot water with some Biz and leave them sit for 24 hours. If there's a particularly bad stain, I make a Biz/water paste and apply it to the spot. Works like a charm. I'd try boiling and ironing them, but if my husband caught me, I think he'd decide I need a part time job! :)

dayz in and dayz out... said...

I like your idea too Angie! I won't let my husband read what your husband would say... :-)

Hey stork... get to it. You can use my pot :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog via Amanda's @ Much Forgiven, You have some neat recipe's, thank you for sharing

dayz in and dayz out... said...

Welcome Tumble weed! What a great name.